House-Side Collection for Hazardous Waste
Residents in participating communities can dispose of household hazardous waste (HHW) just outside their doors. Clive, Johnston, Urbandale and West Des Moines partner with Metro Waste Authority to provide house-side collection.
Eligibility & Requirements
First determine if you are eligible.
- Residents in Clive, Johnston, Urbandale and West Des Moines
- Residents who are eligible for Curb It! recycling
- Townhome residents with private driveways
- Waste must be generated from a household (not a business)
Residents living in condos or apartments can use the Metro Hazardous Waste Drop-Off or attend a Hazardous Waste Drop-Off event.
How to Sign Up
$25 per Collection
Sign up on an as-needed basis at your city location (see below). For a $25 per use fee, residents receive:
- One or two 12-gallon bins (both must be set out for $25 fee)
- Handling instructions and list of accepted items
- Large plastic bags for items too large for the bin (available upon request)
Fill Your Bins
- All containers must be placed upright in the bin.
- All containers must be labeled. If the original label is missing, place a label on the container noting the contents.
- Leaking containers or CFLs must be placed in a sealed plastic bag.
- All items must fit inside the bin with the lid closed.
Once you fill your bins, call Metro Waste Authority at 515.333.4434 to schedule collection. Metro Waste collects on the second Friday of each month.
- In the Bin – All items must fit inside the bin with the lid securely closed.
- Larger Items – Place items too large for the bin in the clear Metro Waste Authority plastic bags provided. For example, (e.g. place lawn and garden chemicals, pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers).
- Set out by 8 a.m. – Place bin(s) at your front door or in front of your garage no later than 8 a.m. Do not set out earlier than the day of pickup.
Accepted & Not Accepted Items
Any items not accepted will be left with the resident for proper disposal. Use the Recycling & Disposal Guide for local options.
NOTE: Latex paint is not accepted. Learn how to safely dispose of in our Recycling Guide.