Curbside collection is NOT delayed due to Presidents Day, Monday, February 18. All MWA facilities are open regular business hours.

What You Need to Know for a Smooth Move

posted 7/12/2017

Start and Stop Garbage and Recycling Curbside Services

Moving can get chaotic. When it comes to moving related waste and waste services, Metro Waste Authority can help you have a smooth move this summer. To stop curbside collection of garbage and recycling, call your city hall or utility office. As a rule, once water is shut off, collection will cease. Carts should remain at the house for the new owner. To start service in your new house (in the Metro area), call the local city hall. Similarly, services usually begin shortly after water service begins.  

Leftover Moving Boxes

Moving often ends with an excess of cardboard boxes that will not fit into your Curb it! recycling cart. One easy way to get rid of all the boxes is to take them to a recycling drop-off location around Polk County. Other options for unused boxes are to take them to a moving company near you or list the boxes online on Craig’s List, social media, or swap sites.

How and Where to Dispose of Household Hazardous Waste

Household hazardous materials accumulate overtime, leaving much to be disposed of once a house goes on the market. Proper disposal minimizes the chance of water and soil pollution. Paint, household cleaners, and other items commonly found in a garage are most commonly considered hazardous waste. To get rid of paint, household cleaners and other hazardous liquids are no longer wanted or needed, bring it to Metro Hazardous Waste Drop-Off in Bondurant or the Northwest Drop-Off in Grimes. If the paint is water-based, an alternative is to dry it out using newspaper or cat litter then dispose of it in your garbage cart. MWA’s house-side collection is another option for residents of Johnston, Urbandale, Clive, and West Des Moines.

For more information about safe, smart disposal and recycling options, visit or call 515.244.0021.