We'll pick up hazardous waste at your home!
Residents in participating communities can dispose of household hazardous waste just outside their doors. Houseside collection is currently available for all our member communities.
LEARN WHAT'S ACCEPTED
Eligibility & Requirements
The following are eligible for houseside collection of hazardous waste:
- Residents who are eligible for Curb It! recycling
- Townhome residents with private driveways
- Waste must be generated from a household NOT a business
- Only accepted items will be picked up
- Residents in the following cities:
- Des Moines
- Pleasant Hill
- Polk City
- Polk Co.
- Prairie City
- West Des Moines
- Windsor Heights
*Residents not living in one of these cities, or living in condos or apartments can use Metro Waste Authority's hazardous waste drop-off sites in Bondurant or Grimes.
Ready to Sign Up?
Fill out the form below and we'll drop-off the bins at your home!
There is a $25 fee per collection of houseside household hazardous waste. For this fee, this one-time service includes:
- Two 12-gallon bins
- Large plastic bags for items too large for the bin (no liquids)
To request service, sign up online below or call 515.244.0021.
Ready for Collection?
You've got the bins, the rest is easy!
- Fill Your Bins
- All containers must be placed upright in the bins.
- All containers must be labeled. If the original label is missing, place a label on the container noting the contents.
- Leaking containers or CFLs (energy efficient lightbulbs) must be placed in a sealed plastic bag.
- All items must fit inside the bin with the lid closed.
- Schedule Collection
- Once you fill both of your bins, call Metro Waste Authority at 515.244.0021 to schedule collection. (Both bins need to be ready for pick up.)
- Follow Our Set-Out Instructions
- In the bin - All items must fit inside the bin with the lid securely closed
- In the bag - Place items too large for the bin in the clear Metro Waste Authority plastic bags provided (lawn and garden chemicals, e-waste, pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers). NO LIQUIDS ARE PERMITTED IN THE PLASTIC BAG.
- Set out by 8 AM - Place the bins at your front door or in front of your garage no later than 8 AM. Do not set out earlier than the day of pickup and do not set at the curb.