Friable & Non-Friable Asbestos
Both friable and non-friable asbestos containing materials can be disposed of at Metro Park East or Metro Park West Landfills. Although non-friable asbestos is not thought to pose as a great risk to those exposed to it as friable asbestos, it still presents risk when the fibers are disrupted through demolition processes that occur during landfill compaction. For this reason, we handle managing disposable the same for friable and non-friable.
- Friable asbestos consists of materials with "loose" asbestos fibers that become airborne easily presenting a risk to those exposed.
- Non-friable asbestos consists of material where the asbestos fibers are "bound-up" in the material and are not as readily airborne (such as floor tile).
Special Waste is only accepted from 6:30 AM - 3:00 PM, Monday - Friday.
To ensure the safety of the hauler and our staff, please follow our acceptance criteria...
- Handling - Asbestos and asbestos contaminated waste must be adequately wetted, sealed in leak-proof containers or wrapping, and labeled.
- Call Ahead - Prior to delivery on the scheduled day, the hauler must call the scale house at Metro Park East or Metro Park West to confirm that site conditions allow for delivery of the asbestos.
- Arrival - Upon arrival at the scale house, the driver must advise the scale house staff they have an asbestos or asbestos containing materials scheduled delivery.
- Paperwork - An Asbestos Shipment Form, signed by the generator and the hauler, must accompany the shipment. (see below)
- Unloading - All vehicles must be off-loaded by hand or other pre-approved methods with extreme care. Under no circumstances can packaging be damaged during the unloading. Tipping of roll-off containers is not permitted unless it can be demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Operations Manager that emissions will not occur.
ASBESTOS SHIPMENT FORM